giovedì 27 novembre 2014

Libri - My Rome and Roll: the place of perfect imperfections

Mira Budafoki a Roma
Mira Budafoki è nata nel 1992 a Budapest, Ungheria. 
Ha iniziato a scrivere al liceo e ha continuato pubblicando articoli su riviste ungheresi durante gli studi in comunicazione e media presso l'Università Corvinus di Budapest. 
Nonostante la vita sulla sedia a rotelle fosse già simile a un ottovolante, solo viaggiare le ha donato dei veri alti e bassi. 
Dopo un lungo weekend a Roma si è perdutamente innamorata della città, e ha fatto ritorno per vivere una serie di eventi magici. 

"Rome as we roll it", edito da Aracne, è il suo primo libro in inglese, il risultato della sua semestrale storia d'amore con la città eterna.

Ho il piacere di conoscere personalmente Mira: una ragazza meravigliosa, con la quale non perdo occasione di chiacchierare ogni volta che ritorna nella nostra città.
L'ultima volta è successo la scorsa settimana e sono riuscito a strapparle la promessa di scrivere un articolo per questo piccolo blog. 

Promessa mantenuta... Grazie Mira!


Copertina del libro di Mira Budafoki
Three days vacation in Rome. 
That's where my story has started. 
Short, dense, and intense. 
Compared to a three days vacation for example in Vienna extremely sweaty and challenging. 
Me and my travel buddy slash amazing friend tried to follow the conventional touristy pathways, but it seemed impossible. 
We had to skip the most frequented metro stops, and go by wheels and feet, we had to join the Smarts on the three lanes roads, we had to change our speed to very mediterrean slowness to survive the bumpiness of the old cobblestones. 
“Rome is not wheelchair friendly” told me many result of google, which I have checked before our arrival.
Well, maybe that's why the Eternal City has never become my friend, I fell in love with it instantly. The directions have changed, but I've never regreted it, because those new paths directed me to the wild side, to my most adventurous and most charming half year - and from my present point of view it seems not just half year, but who knows how long. I was supposed to settle here for half year to write a guidebook. I wanted to provide disabled people with useful informations how to discover the city in the most comfortable way.
It turned out very soon that Rome isn't about to be stuck in my comfort zone with my magic car. It's about to break it. 
This recognizition led me to the coclusion to give up the idea to write an ordinary guidebook. Obviously I have built in my lines the practical coordinates for the wheelchair user tourists and locals, but I focused more on my personal developments, and the thing I could learn here, and I tried to share those tiny gestures and happenings with the public.
Firstly, my original idea was proved: human strenght is simply wonderful and every obstacle is nothing, if you have the sincere willing to jump it through. 
In Rome it's a weekly phenomenon that the elevators don't cooperate with me, but in the company of some sweetly unserious Italian home cursing I find myself always upstairs with four wide smiles around me. 
Secondly, I understood that all this small gestures of attentiveness, which you can experience if you let yourself involve in the Roman mess, soften your soul. 
Not just soften, but beautify. 
If somebody asks, why I moved back in Rome, I will definitely answer: my proffesion is located on the field of art. Art is a beauty exchange and interaction.
Its fuel is beauty and its product is the same. Real beauty is in the imperfection. 
Therefore I chose Rome.


Nessun commento:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...